In June 2014, ProjectManagementHacks.com was born. I’m happy to share that the website has come a long way in that year. In today’s post, I will share lessons learned and the most popular resources I have created. The second half of 2015 will bring major developments here that will add even greater value to your career growth. Thanks for taking the journey with me – there’s more to come!
A Growing Community
I write to add value to people and I’m honoured to see how many people have joined the ProjectManagementHacks.com community. Wen you start a website, you never know exactly how it will turn out. I’m delighted that so many people have visited and shared the articles. I have to give a special shout out to four people: Karin Hurt of Let’s Grow Leaders (who has included my articles in her festival posts), Paula Kiger and Becky Robinson of Weaving Influence (who also shared my articles) and Dave Gordon who runs the The Practicing IT Project Manager website (a key early reader and supporter).
- Over 26,000 unique visitors have visited the website (June 2014 to June 2015)
- Over 1200 people have joined the Project Management Hacks email newsletter
- Over 400 Twitter followers follow ProjectManagementHacks
- Webinars: I have presented professional development webinars to over 2,000 people in the past six months thanks to the great people at ProjectManagement.com (thanks Rebecca and Stephen!)
In building the community, I have focused my effort on building the email newsletter list. For most readers, email remains the key tool in professional activity. For the foreseeable future, I will continue to focus on growing the email list. I also enjoy connecting with readers in the comments section of each article.
Most Popular Blog Posts From The Past Year
Over the most year, some articles have become highly popular. The following articles have all attracted over a thousand readers each. Even more, these articles continues to attract attention months after being published.
- Conflict Management For Project Managers: 10 Sources of Project Conflict
- 51 Training Resources For Project Managers
- Project Manager Salary: 4 Key Insights To Earn $100,000 Per Year
- Conflict Management Techniques From the PMBOK Guide
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective Meetings
It’s interesting to see that conflict, training and resources have stayed popular. In the coming months, I will be exploring new topics. For example, I will be exploring landing a promotion and other career development techniques. I plan to continue publishing new articles every Tuesday for the rest of the year.
In developing Project Management Hacks articles, I have used interviews to grow my knowledge and connections. I first learned the merits of interviewing in the online world from Andrew Warner of Mixergy and John Lee Dumas of Entrepreneur on Fire. In this section, you will learn more about me and some of the interviews I have published over the past year.
- When a surprise disturbs your work-life balance, know your ABCs (Globe & Mail)
- Bruce Harpham: Career Advancement Toolkit (PMChats.com, my first podcast interview!)
- Interview on Learning People (A UK based training company)
- Transition Q & A: Bruce Harpham (University Affairs by my friend Jennifer Polk)
Being featured in the Globe & Mail was a great leap forward. As a fan of podcasts since 2008, it was also a great treat to be featured on the PMChats.com podcast. As 2015 continues, I look forward to sharing my ideas in more interviews. I enjoy the opportunity to explore stories and ideas in depth – that’s one of the great merits of the podcasts. Take note, podcast fans: in the section below, I suggest a few ways to earn free PDUs using the iTunesU service.
Favorite Articles From Around The Web
Over the past year, I have published dozens of articles on other websites including Lifehack.org, CIO.com and ProjectManagement.com. In this section, you will find links to some of these articles. This section includes articles that I consider highly valuable and a few of my own selections. Read on and be inspired to grow further!
- How to Develop Your PM Continuing Education Strategy (ProjectManagement.com)
- 15 Inspiring Books Every Leader Should Not Miss (Lifehack.org)
- The Biggest Mistake NEW Leaders Make (Let’s Grow Leaders)
- 11 Books To Make You Lead A Much More Productive Life (Lifehack.org)
- Adding Value with Big Data Projects (ProjectManagement.com)
- How To Earn Project Management PDUs Through iTunesU (PDU Insider)
- 16 Skills To Make Your Reading More Productive (Lifehack.org)
- 30 Things To Remember To Help You Become Successful In 2015 (Lifehack.org)
- How to Build Your Internal Network for Project Managers (How to Manage a Camel, Arras People)
- 9 Characteristics Of High Performers (Lifehack.org)
- Are You Building Professional Assets as a Project Manager? (CAI’s Accelerating IT Success)
In addition to the above articles, it was a great honour to win several awards from IT World Canada. Technology has long been an area of interest for me. I enjoyed the process of learning more about Big Data trends and the potential for Internet of Things technology. My focus on interviews were one of the reasons that I achieved success in those articles.
Question for the Comments:
What is your favorite Project Management Hacks article of the past year?