Loyal readers of Project Management Hacks will notice that I have gone a few weeks without publishing a new article. Well, I’m back! Even better, I have a great new resource ready for you:
New Free Resource: How To Build An Effective Relationship With Your Project Sponsor
A strong relationship with your project sponsor can improve your project’s prospects (and your career). That’s why I wrote the “How To Build An Effective Relationship With Your Project Sponsor” report. To get the report, go here.
Now, in the spirit of year end reviews, this post gives you an easy to read guide to my writing on leadership, skills development and more for project managers. This is a great resource for you to come back to over and over again.
Leadership For Project Management
“Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
According to author John C. Maxwell, leadership is influence. Leadership was a major focus of my writing this year. Leadership skills are important for project managers in several situations. For professionals managing a program or portfolio of projects, you cannot directly achieve results – you must work through your team by setting priorities and supporting your team.
Through 2014, I published nineteen leadership articles exploring this important area across the Web. For your convenience, here are links to the articles:
- Lead Like Winston Churchill. Leadership Thoughts.
- How To Improve Project Team Creativity. Project Management Tips.
- The Biggest Mistake NEW Leaders Make. Let’s Grow Leaders.
- 4 Projects To Improve Productivity. Pick The Brain.
- How Great Leaders Grow By Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. Leadership Thoughts.
- 10 Tips For Making Better Project Decisions. Liquid Planner.
- How To Connect With Your Project Sponsor. The Program Manager’s Blog.
- Why Your Project Needs Momentum. Project Times
- Are You A Pawn Or A Strategist: Keys To Project Leadership. Project Manage.
- How Quests Transform Your Leadership — An Interview with Chris Guillebeau. Leadership Thoughts.
- Who’s Influencing Your Leadership?. Let’s Grow Leaders.
- Growth vs. risk: How CIOs can determine their firm’s comfort zone. IT World Canada (Special Feature From Canadian CIO Magazine)
- Growth vs. risk: Maintaining the core in your IT organization. IT World Canada (Special Feature From Canadian CIO Magazine)
- Growth vs. risk: How smart CIOs strike the balance. IT World Canada (Special Feature From Canadian CIO Magazine)
- What The Most Successful IT Project Managers Know About Sponsors. Project Manager Today Magazine
- Developing Talent: The Next Frontier for Project Managers. ProjectManagement.com
- Four Ways To Improve Your Leadership Skills. iMindQ Blog
- How To Achieve Project Success With Executive Support: 5 Best Practices. Better Projects
Networking for Project Managers: Favors Are The Acid Test
Sometimes, idealistic people are put off the whole business of networking as something tainted by flattery and the pursuit of selfish advantage. But virtue in obscurity is rewarded only in Heaven. To succeed in this world you have to be known to people. – Sonia Sotomayor